This Wine And Crispy Chicken Wings Pairing Will Elevate Your Sunday Game
The essentials to any game day viewing party include: A working television, drinks, and chicken wings- especially if they are crunchy, spicy, and loaded with seasoning. Since the Big Game is quickly approaching with watch parties looking a bit different this year, we wanted to help ensure that your game day festivities were as tasty as possible. This Super Bowl Sunday, serve Crispy Chicken Wings paired with Babe Wines. Their assortment of Pinot Grigio , Rosé Wine and Sparkling Red wines fit the perfect bubbly pairings to tasty wings drizzled in sweet chili sauce. And since they are the official wine sponsor of the NFL means it is a fan fave! We have learned this from food expert, Pepper Teigen ahead of the release of her debut cookbook, The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Family Recipes from Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom. “I love introducing Thai flavors to everyone through my food – my recipes are so simple to make, delicious and fun!” noted Teigen. “To me, BABE is the exact same way and pairs well with so many dishes, including my Crispy Chicken Wings.”
Mama Teigen knows a thing a two about spice, which is where her daughter, Chrissy Teigen got her recipes, wit, and wisdom. Originally from Thailand, Vilailuck , also known as Pepper, Teigen moved to the United States as a young woman after getting married. She longed for the flavors of home and so she started cooking Thai-ish food often using American ingredient substitutions for Thai items she couldn’t find in grocery stores. BABE Wine, available in Rosé, Pinot Grigio, and Red is available on drinkbabe.net or can be purchased in-stores nationwide.
Below is Pepper Teigen’s Crispy Chicken Wings recipe from The Pepper Thai Cookbook to get you game day ready!
Crispy Chicken Wings
Serves 4 to 6:
- 3 pounds chicken wings, patted dry
- Vegetable oil, for deep-fry
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
- ½ tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Thai sweet chili sauce or Spicy Garlic-Lime Fish
- Put the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, fill a wok, large heavy pot, or deep skillet with at least 2 inches of oil, making sure to leave a few inches of clearance from the rim. Heat the oil over medium heat to 370 F (use a deep-fry thermometer or test the oil by throwing in a little piece of bread or a grain of rice; if it sizzles immediately but doesn’t burn, you’re ready). Set a wire rack in a sheet pan or line a plate with paper towels and have it nearby.
- While the oil is heating, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings and toss until a paste forms, making sure all the wings are evenly coated.
- When the oil is hot, add 4 or 5 wings to the pan and fry until they’re a deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. The color of the crust will tell you when they’re cooked, so keep an eye on the wings and adjust the heat as needed as you’re frying.
- Drain the wings on the wire rack or paper towels and fry the next batch. Serve warm with sweet chili sauce or, if you like it hot, try the spicy fish sauce.
Photos & Recipe: Courtesy